Opinion: traps need a rework

I think most mechanics of the game are awesome and well-implemented, and almost every Phobie is well-balanced and useful in a specific situation. This is truly remarkable considering the complexity of the game. But if there’s one thing that needs a rework, it’s traps.

Traps have the following issues:

1. Their possible positions are easily forgotten in async games. The only way to know where they could be is to remember where the enemy moved its trapper phobie: async games last for days and needing to watch a replay because you forgot where that Baba-Yaga was five turns ago is not cool.

2. They can be VERY frustrating.

3. They are the only source of hidden information, along with invisibility, in the game: this is weird because it puts the game in a situation where it can’t be described as having perfect information like Chess even though it is extremely close to having it. IMO you should either introduce more hidden information mechanics or remove the existent ones (I would prefer the latter).

Because of these reasons, I suggest a trap rework.

Here are some suggestions on how to rework them in case you decide you want to do it:

1. (favourite) Make traps visible and recognizable as being of a specific player and change Doom Doom’s ability to something that changes the ownership of enemy traps or removes/triggers traps in a radius.

2. Make traps visible and neutral (able to trigger on and damage your own phobies too). Change Doom Doom’s ability to something that removes or triggers all traps in a radius. This would be a pretty big nerf to all trapper phobies so further changes would be needed.

3. Make traps visible (either player-specific or neutral) and instantly triggered when a Phobie ends its movement or walks on them. This would be a total rework of traps and HUGE changes to the game would be needed in order to rebalance it.

4. Add a way to mark tiles as dangerous so that async games with traps are less frustrating. I wouldn’t like this solution very much as it would only solve issue number 1, but it would surely be better than nothing.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions in the comments!

5 Likes

You are right bro! I think that need to be adden in the game. Its not fair to damage my petrified Gargles with trap!

1 Like

Agreed. The problem here is that there are only two units that can take care of traps for good: Doom doom and tickles. I already talked about doom doom. It has to stand on a trap to take care of it, which might put you in range of enemy fire. And thats assuming you actually HAVE doom doom. Maybe if they add more units that can see and absorb traps, the problem will be solved.

3 Likes

I think traps should become visible after 1 turn, and invisibility should be removed.

2 Likes

I like the idea of marking dangerous tiles, for me, that’s the way to solve the problem of forgetting traps in async

2 Likes

(Changed from community discussions to feedback and suggestions)

They should add more phobies that can see and/or deactivate traps
For example I proposed a new phobie that can switch traps and make them yours, something like that would be cool

As someone who is a trap connoisseur, I do think they need a rework. Sometimes I feel as if the element of chance is problematic and traps feel kinda clunky.
Suggestion #4 should definitely be implemented. As for the other suggestions, I feel as if it’s important that the traps are player-specific. I think suggestion #1, your personal favorite, is probably the best solution.

Sorry if this out of topic, but i think it needs a rework.

I have problem too with traps. At one game, in my turn, i place my trap on enemy trap, then i move Batula to there. At end turn, Batula dies because of enemy trap and my trap is destroyed too. I think the mechanic should the traps denied each other so my Batula still safe. :frowning:

1 Like